Monday, July 27, 2015

Fitness, Weight and Food

In 2015 Mark and I did a 6 week boot camp outdoors and then a 4 week indoor boot camp/kickboxing class. Although we were working out and feeling in shape. We had a bit of a round shape. Admittedly we were enjoying food, all kinds and in large quantities.

May 2015 I got on a fancy high tech scale that was given to us for our wedding by a beautiful couple who is super into fitness. To my dismay, my weight was 162lbs. I've never been this heavy. EVER. Maybe it was that I finally hit 30 in 2014 or that I got married the same year or the hiatus of consistent workout routines. In any case it felt terrible.

Shortly thereafter I signed up for www.dietbet.com and created a diet bet to challenge my friends to lose 4% of their body weight in 28 days. In my case that was 6 lbs. At the same time my husband and I found a two-month swimming groupon deal for a masters program. We try to go at least 2 days a week and sometimes as much as 4 days per week. I won my first dietbet, and my husband joined it and won also! We did so by tracking our food intake using myfitnesspal app and by working out consistently. After doing so, we took a weekend off. The next week we joined our second dietbet. This time I kept myself to 1200-1300 calories but no more. My husband and I again won our second diet bet! He lost 20 lbs and I've lost 13 lbs! I had never before had to worry about my weight, because I was burning calories just by running, training for fun races and to meet new goals.



I felt aggravated and annoyed about letting myself get so heavy for being only 5'2. Today I'm down to 148.4 lbs. While this is not an amazing weight it is a big difference from 162. We are taking 2 weeks off to enjoy our birthdays.




Upon returning home I will work on getting and staying between 135-140. I'll be ready to committ to training for another race. First I'll need to develop a base. Currently, my best is running 2.46 miles at an 11:17 min/mile pace. It's not bad at all. 


The key will be to keep watching my food intake and keep using that foam roller. Squats, core and back stregthening will be my friends. I can't wait to get back into a normal running routine. I miss being out there in start corrals - and writing about all the experiences I've had. 

No comments: